The City Stealers!
Author: Gerry Conway
Artist: Jim Mooney
Inker: Vince Colletta
Letterer: Artie Simek
Colorist: Bill Mantlo
Originally published: December 1974
I was looking forward to Gerry Conway guest-writing Team-Up because, despite my problems with him, he’s been far more consistently good lately than Len Wein in the Team-Up issues. This, however, totally blows. It literally makes no sense, and absolutely nothing is explained. Here is a blow-by-blow of the plot:
- robots cause earthquakes by drilling in the ground
- Spidey and Hercules try to stop them
- the robots divulge their plan: to pull Manhattan into the ocean using a submarine and ransom off its safety
- Spidey and Herc beat the robots, and find a tiny man hiding inside on of them. The man is afraid of some bigger boss.
- Hercules pulls Manhattan back to its rightful spot
- the mayor gets mad about wrecked bridges and tunnels
There is no explanation for the tiny man, no explanation of who was in the submarine or in charge. And Hercules pulled all of Manhattan! There are about a million other flaws too, but I just can’t even get to those. This book was just insane.
This is possible the worst Spider-Man story I’ve ever read.